Thursday, December 20, 2007

Milk is amazing stuff

We just got on WIC, and they give us about twice as much milk as we can possibly drink, so I have started making yogurt.  It is very easy, and I don't understand why more people don't do it, as it is much tastier than the store kind, and you could even make it with powdered milk if you wanted, and then it would be REALLY cheap.  But anyway, this last batch I ran out of room in the cooler, so wrapped a tupperware full in towels and put it on the stove to keep warm... and then promptly forgot about it and used the oven to make dinner.  Needless to say, it did not set (note to self: find bigger cooler).  No problem, I thought.  I will cook some lentils in it for lunch.  Lentils, a little mushrooms, yogurt, what could go wrong?  Well, it turns out that yogurt (or even liquid yogurt) CURDLES when you heat it.  So now my lentils are cooking in very, VERY runny cottage cheese.  We will see how it is, I suppose.  Never know what milk will do next.

No comments: