Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I like sardines.

We got some the other day at Walmart because, frankly, I was curious.  I wanted to know what the heck the difference between a sardine and an anchovy is, because as far as I could tell they are both just tiny fish in a can, except the anchovies cost about twice as much as the sardines.  So, I decided to crack open the sardines with lunch.  Nothing fancy, just put a bit in the sauce for my ravioli.  THERE WERE WHOLE FISH IN THERE.  No heads or tails, or I think I would have thrown them away immediately, but otherwise whole, intact little fish with bones and skin and everything.  I stared at them for a minute.  I put one on top of my ravioli, and stared at it some more.  Then I figured, if I put a little piece behind a ravioli, maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

And you know what?  They are delicious.  Better than canned tuna.  I have two more from that can still in the fridge, and I think I'm going to try them as a sandwich later tonight.  Well, if I'm not too full from the anchovy pizza I'm making for dinner.

No comments: